COMMUNIQUE RESULTING FROM THE EMERGENCY DIALOGUE MEETING OF CONCERNED ELDERS AND STAKEHOLDERS IN THE RECENT KILLINGS IN PARTS OF PLATEAU STATE HELD AT THE DIALOGUE, RECONCILIATION AND PEACE (DREP) CENTRE, KWANG, JOS SOUTH ON THURSDAY 26TH JULY, 2018.
Arising from an extra ordinary emergency meeting of concerned elders and stakeholders on the recent killings in parts of Plateau State, held at the Dialogue, Reconciliation and Peace Centre (DREP), Jos, on 26th July 2018, we, concerned elders and stakeholders make the following observations to the general public:
1. We condemn in the strongest terms, the recent, wanton and unwarranted killing of innocent citizens of our dear state, and destruction of properties when we thought that lasting peace had finally returned to our dear state.
2. We equally condemn in strong terms the criminal acts of killing that took place on our highways in the name of reprisals, where even fellow citizens of the state were not spared. No culture or religion on earth justifies killings no matter the degree of provocation.
3. While we do not judge or condemn any individual or group, we however call on security agencies to fish out and prosecute these enemies of Plateau state both within and without, who are hell bent on destroying the peace and prosperity of Plateau state.
4. We find it alarming that even innocent women and children, who in normal war situations are spared, were not spared by these merchants of death.
5. We understand that some suspects have been arrested following the massacre of our innocent citizens. We call on Government and security agents to leave no stone unturned until their collaborators and sponsors are fished out and prosecuted.
6. Our hearts go out in sympathy to all those who have lost loved ones and property. We pray that God will bring healing to their hearts and condole them over their loses.
7. We regret that instead of using our energy to exploit the rich and fertile agricultural and mineral endowment which God has blessed our dear state with, we have willfully resorted to inflicting more poverty and pain on our citizens through hatred and violence.
8. Since as experience has shown, violence like wildfire does not spare any religion or ethnicity, we must agree therefore to rise above all ethnic, political or religious differences, to collectively voice our condemnation of the recent acts of barbarism in some parts of Plateau state. We also call on all well meaning citizens of Plateau state to join hands with the incumbent governor of Plateau State and the security agencies, to find ways of healing wounds and promoting peaceful coexistence.
9. We confess that we have all sinned against God, against one another and against our land, either by our silence, provocative and inciting statements, active involvement or tele-guided conspiracy. We therefore need to turn to God and one another and beg for forgiveness. We also need to ask God to touch the hearts of those responsible, that their hearts of stone be softened and changed to hearts of flesh.
10. We call on all security agencies to wake up to their responsibilities of safeguarding lives and properties of citizens, by fishing out those responsible for the attacks on our land and their collaborators. We also encourage synergy between security agencies and community/religious leaders in their effort to secure our communities from invasion.
11. We condemn in strong terms the wave of rumour mongering and hate speech circulating through the social media perpetrated by enemies of peace. We encourage citizens to always verify information before circulating it, and also stop the negative use of the social media.
12. While we commend DREP Centre for their effort in dialogue, reconciliation and other peace building activities, we appeal to the Centre to convene a meeting of all elders in the state, politicians, security agents, the media, the youth, religious and community leaders, where issues affecting the peaceful coexistence, unity and progress of Plateau State are discussed sincerely and decisions taken. Finally, we wish to renew our invitation to the inter-faith prayer for healing and peace in Plateau State, being organized by DREP Centre and here at the DREP Centre. This comes up on 30th August 2018 by 10am. Please endeavour to be part of that spiritual activity.
CATHOLIC SECRETARIAT OF NIGERIA (ARCHBISHOP I. A. KAIGAMA) ____________________
CHRISTIAN ASSOCIATION OF NIGERIA (BISHOP I.K.CHINDO)_____________________
JAMA’ATU NASRIL ISLAM (JNI) (ALH. YUSUF SARUMI) _____________________
EMIR OF WASE (REP. BY MUSTAPHA UMAR GALADIMA)_____________________
NACOMYO (MALAM SANI SULEIMAN)_____________________
NAWAIRUDEEN (ALH. SURAJUDEEN SOYEYE)_____________________
WOWICAN (RHODA G. JAHOTA)_____________________
YORUBA COMMUNITY (CHIEF TOYE OGUNSHEYI)_____________________
MIYETTI ALLAH (ALH. NURU MOHAMMED)_____________________
SOUTH-SOUTH COMMUNITY(CHIEF S. EBIDE) _____________________
IRIGWE (HRH. REV. RONKU AKA)_____________________
BEROM (DA STEPHEN LODAN)____________________
AFIZERE (PETER AZI MAGAJI)____________________
DREP BOARD (P. D. GUNAT)_____________________
NSCDC (MILAHAM BRENDA)___________________
DEPARTMENT OF STATE SECURITY (O.O. CHARLES IBE)___________________
PPBA (JOSEPH LENGMANG)___________________